“We returned safely and uneventfully to California last night. The trip to Campeche was fantastic!
The baby tarpon fishing was exceptional the first day and very good the second day. Many fish from 5 to 14lbs, almost all on topwater flies, and all visual eats. Amazing bird life, fascinating mangroves, great guides, it was a blast.
BUT, I would say that the fishing was not even the best part. If you go to Campeche and only fish for tarpon you are really missing out. Antonio was our tour guide for two days. The first was a tour of historic Campeche including a side-trip to make from scratch authentic Mayan chocolate. The second was to visit the 3,000 year old Edzna Mayan archeological site. Antonio was absolutely fantastic and the logistics were extremely smooth. He was deeply knowledgeable and his deserved pride in the history of the area was contagious. Two things in particular that I appreciated about the two days with Antonio: (i) he helped navigate my three young daughters through the hectic streets of Campeche very carefully and was always laser focused on their safety and (ii) he thoughtfully switched between Spanish and English, balancing my girls’ practicing Spanish and covering other aspects in English where appropriate. You could not ask for a better guide to a beautiful city and an astonishing archeological site.
The chocolate making class was very memorable. Along with Edzna, this was absolutely my daughters’ highlight. The class was super interesting and the chocolate tasted so much more nuanced than US store bought chocolate.
Hacienda Puerta was a beautiful place to stay. Gorgeous pool, large and well-appointed rooms, and perfect location. The hotel staff were very friendly and took it upon themselves to become impromptu Spanish teachers, which made every family meal even more fun. Everything was very reasonably priced.”
Campeche is one of our favorites destinations for travelers looking to combine fly fishing with a true cultural experience. The program is fully customizable, allowing ample flexibility for groups of anglers, couples, or families, and trips of any length can be accommodated.
- The number of days of fully guided fishing as specified in your package
- Accommodations at Hotel Plaza Campeche, Hotel Ocean View or Casa Don Gustavo
- Meet-and-greet service in at Merida or Campeche airports
- Round trip ground transfer between Merida and Campeche airports
- Continental breakfast each morning at your hotel
- Cooler lunch and non-alcoholic beverages with your guide
- Fishing license
- Mexican VAT taxes
What’s Not Included:
- International flight to and from Merida or Campeche
- Dinner each evening in Campeche and lunch on non-fishing days
- Gratuities for fishing guides, tour guides, taxi drivers, and hotel staff
- Taxis or other activities while in the city
- All fishing equipment, flies, and terminal tackle