ON-THE-WATER PHOTO WORKSHOP
Location: El Pescador Lodge – Ambergris Caye, Belize
Dates: October 22-28, 2016 (6 nights / 5 days)
Cost Per Person (All Inclusive): $3,995.00
Join Yellow Dog Flyfishing Adventures for a hands-on, adventure-filled outdoor and fishing photography workshop in beautiful Belize. This six-night / five-day school will take place at El Pescador Lodge on Ambergris Caye October 22-28, 2016. This immersive workshop will be led by three well-known and accomplished outdoor and fishing photographers: Bryan Gregson, Jess McGlothlin and Jim Klug. The school includes daily classes and instruction, three full days of guided flats fishing, field trips on Ambergris and visits to surrounding islands, all lodging and meals. Full details are listed below.
School Itinerary and Daily Schedule:
• October 22 – All participants arrive in Belize and transfer to El Pescador. Evening one-hour intro class in main villa followed by welcome reception.
• October 23 – Full day of guided fishing (two anglers per boat) followed by afternoon class / instruction block in main villa.
• October 24 – Non-fishing day – Trip into town of San Pedro and other Ambergris area sites for field work and classes. Afternoon class / instruction block in main villa.
• October 25 – Full day of guided fishing (two per boat) followed by afternoon class / instruction block in main villa.
• October 26 – Full day of guided fishing (two per boat) followed by afternoon class / instruction block in main villa.
• October 27 – Full day catamaran trip and photo safari to Hol Chan, Shark-Ray Alley and Caye Caulker
• October 28 – Departure day (morning) for all participants and flight back to U.S. / home city.
Curriculum and Instruction Included in Workshop:
• Creative composition for outdoor photographers
• Effectively using circular polarizers and ND filters
• Underwater photography: equipment and techniques
• Night photography: stars and light painting
• Proper fish handling techniques and shooting great “hero” shots
• Packing and travel advice for outdoor photographers
• Recommended “kit” and equipment lists for fishing photographers
• Sunrise and sunset shooting techniques
• Travel photography: Food, fishing, people, places and things
• File handling: downloading, labeling, editing and organizing
• Social media techniques for the independent outdoor photographer
• Nighttime photo walks
• Daily (evening) photo critique for all participants
Who Should Attend:
Everyone! Whether you just purchased your first camera and are wondering what all those buttons are for, or you’re a seasoned amateur to intermediate photographer wanting to make the most of your fishing and travel photography, this workshop will advance your skill level and improve your photos in the field. With three working professional photographers instructing, we’re able (and happy) to teach and accommodate photographers of any skill level. The diversity of instruction and a curriculum designed specifically for outdoor, travel and fishing photography, this workshop will help you to “up your game” and make the most of your future fishing trips.
Photo Workshop Package Includes:
• Six nights of double occupancy lodging at El Pescador (single room upgrades available for an additional $600.00 per person)
• All meals at lodge
• In-country transfer flights from Belize City to Ambergris Caye
• All transfers to and from lodge
• Open bar tab (local beer, liquors and soda)
• Three full days of guides fishing (two anglers per boat)
• Two full days of photo excursions including trips to Hol Chan Marine Reserve, Shark-Ray Alley, Caye Caulker and San Pedro)
• Daily classes, seminars and photo instruction for all five days
• Use of fishing equipment (if needed)
• All taxes and service charges
• Participant gift bag
Package Does Not Include:
• Airfare to Belize City
• Gratuities for fishing guides and lodge staff
• Single supplement upgrades (if desired)
• Personal camera equipment
• Additional fishing equipment (other than rods and reels)
El Pescador Lodge Accommodations and Details
Participants in the photo school will stay in comfortable, spacious and air conditioned double-occupancy rooms in the 14-room, colonial-style main lodge. In November 2014, El Pescador completed a total renovation of the fourteen guest rooms and the final product is fantastic! Each fully air conditioned room has all new furniture with two queen beds and a small sitting area. Each private en-suite bathroom features a double granite vanity, a private toilet area, a walk-in shower, and a hardwood closet and drawers with a small refrigerator and coffeemaker. All rooms in the lodge are beachfront with great views of the Caribbean. For guests who would like more space or are interested in private accommodations, El Pescador offers a single supplement option for an additional $100.00 per night ($600.00 additional total for the school).
Food and Beverages
The restaurant and dining room at El Pescador specializes in fresh, local Caribbean cuisine with meals served on the outdoor deck or in the main dining room. Breakfasts are made to order, and lunch each day is ordered off of a menu and packed in a cooler for your day on the water. Each evening, everyone dines together in the main dining room, where guests enjoy an expansive dinner buffet. All local liquors, beer, soda and mixers are included in the cost of the school package.
Non-Angling Activities and Options
Activities include PADI-certified diving, naturalist excursions, snorkeling, tours of Mayan ruins, beach combing, trips to the town of San Pedro, bicycling, and more. Amenities at the lodge include three swimming pools, a large indoor/outdoor bar area, complimentary Wi-Fi, satellite TV, bicycles, sea kayaks, volleyball court, and an on-site dive master – one of the best in all of Belize! The lodge can also organize golf cart rentals for trips around the island or a run into town. There is a special non-school-participant rate that is available for those that wish to accompany school participants but not participate in the workshop. Please contact Yellow Dog for details.
Wi-Fi is available free of charge for guests. Please bring your own laptop or PDA to access the internet. Depending on your service plan, some cell phones will also work at the lodge and on Ambergris Caye.
How To Get There (Arrival and Departure Details / Times)
Belize is a very easy and affordable destination to access! Guests will arrive via an international flight to Belize City's Philip Goldson International Aiport (airport code: BZE). Direct flights to Belize City are available from Miami, Dallas, Houston, Newark, Los Angeles, Atlanta and Charlotte. The major airlines that service Belize are American, Delta, Southwest, United, US Air, and Taca. On the arrival day of October 22, it is best to arrive into Belize City's International Airport before 3:00 PM in order to make the necessary domestic connection to Ambergris. Your round-trip flights from Belize International Airport to Ambergris Caye aboard Tropic Air are included in your trip package. On your departure day on October 28, you can book a return international flight at any time, as flights from Ambergris back to the International Airport begin as early as 7:00 AM.
All U.S. citizens are required to have a valid passport that does not expire within six (6) months of trip dates. Please be sure that your passport has at least two blank, unstamped pages remaining in back, and that it is not torn, delaminated, or damaged in any way. Citizens of the U.S., the British Commonwealth, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, and the European Community are NOT required to have Visas.
Travel Arrangements and Assistance
Yellow Dog offers a full in-house travel and reservations system and can assist with airline tickets, hotels, transfers and all travel logistics for Belize. Contact Kimberly Frank at 888-777-5060 or kimberly [at] yellowdogflyfishing [dot] com for more details on ticketing, travel services and trip insurance.
The workshop includes three full days of guided fishing, with numerous fishing options available. You can fish for bonefish along the many tidal flats and mangroves, or target permit on deep water flats the muddy flats of the inner lagoon. Perhaps the most popular fishing out of El Pescador, however, is the sight fishing for tarpon. Offering the largest “classic” tarpon flats in the world outside of South Florida, Ambergris is one of the few spots in the Caribbean where tarpon can be sight fished year-round. Resident schools of tarpon (20 to 60 pounds) roam the broad flats of the area 12 months a year, and larger fish are always possible as well. There are also snook in the mangroves, large jacks cruising the flats, snapper, barracuda and more. While the tarpon and permit fishing in this part of Belize is almost always done from the boat, there are some places where an angler can wade hard-bottomed flats while stalking schools of bonefish.
Bryan is one of the most recognized names in the world of fishing and outdoor travel photography. He's an incredibly accomplished independent photographer specializing in creative visual imagery in both still photography and cinematography. After years of focusing his photography in the winter action sports industry, Bryan turned his lens to capturing fly fishing around the globe. He is the recipient of numerous awards and large-scale assignments, with work ranging from major magazine covers to billboards to groundbreaking cinematography shorts. On the commercial side, Bryan has worked with Patagonia, Volvo Cars, Scott Fly Rods, Hatch Outdoors, Trout Unlimited, Scientific Anglers and dozens of other brands, conservation groups and publications.
The founder and owner of Jess McGlothlin Media, Jess has spent years traveling and exploring the world. While her photography primarily focuses on fishing and the outdoors, she has also worked on projects with the U.S. military and several disaster response groups for national and international publications. She has done with The New York Times, Patagonia, YETI, Outside Magazine, Orvis, and Costa Del Mar, and dozens of other publications and companies, and she’s frequently published in the U.S. and abroad. Her work has also appeared in several gallery shows, including recent stints in Israel and Germany. Jess recently left a role as outdoor copywriter at Orvis for a return back home to Montana, accepting a position with Yellow Dog Flyfishing Adventures as social media director.
Founder and Director of Operations for Yellow Dog Flyfishing, L.L.C., Jim has traveled extensively throughout the world, visiting, fishing and photographing in more than 50 different countries. Jim is the primary copywriter and photographer for the Yellow Dog catalogs and website as well as the co-founder and executive producer for Confluence Films. Jim's articles and photographs have appeared in dozens of different magazines and publications, including The Drake, The New York Times, Fly Fish Journal, Fly Fisherman Magazine, Outside Magazine, Fly Rod & Reel, USA Today, the L.A. Times, and many others. Jim’s first large-scale book project – Fly Fishing Belize – was published in 2014.
Ready to up both your fishing and photography skills?
Call us at 800-777-5060 to help with your next adventure.
Yellow Dog Page
EL PESCADOR LODGE