The Belize Tourism Board announced more friendly testing timelines and options for travelers in the immediate future. Since Belize reopened for international travel on October 1, 2020, Yellow Dog has worked with dozens of anglers to plan and execute straightforward trips to Belize was smooth travel and great fishing opportunities. Check out a recent review of the experience here.
UPDATE: United Airlines is now offering direct flights from Denver, CO to Belize, offering anglers from the west and Rocky Mountain regions additional options for a warm-weather getaway. (As of December 23, 2020)
Belize has now shifted the testing window to 96 hours (from 72 hours) from the beginning of travel AND now offering a Rapid Test option which should be much more convenient for many traveling anglers hoping to take advantage of a well-rested fishery.
- For testing, travelers will be able to take a Real-time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) Covid-19 test within 96 hours of travel to Belize OR Rapid Antigen, Sophia, SD Biosensor, ABBOT (Panbio) Covid-19 test no more than 48 hours prior to traveling to Belize. If you are unable to bring a Covid-19 test, you can take one upon arrival.
- Download the Belize Health App and complete the required information no more than 72-hours prior to boarding the flight to Belize. A QR code with a unique ID number will be returned to you and will be used for contact tracing while in Belize. The Belize Health App is available for download via APK file for Android (version 1.09 or newer) and in the App Store. The App can also be downloaded via https://www.travelbelize.org/health-safety
On Arrival in Belize:
- You will disembark the plane – wearing a face mask – and proceed to health screening.
- If you brought along your negative Covid-19 test, and you are cleared by Health Officials during your health screening you will be able to proceed immediately for Immigration & Customs processing. Depending on your health screening, you may be randomly selected for secondary testing.
- If you were unable to bring the results of an RT-PCR or approved rapid Covid-19 test, you will be required to proceed to the testing area for a COVID-19 test. Testing is at the passengers’ expense and costs US$50.00. Only cash is being accepted at this time; credit card machines and ATMs are not available.
- Testing at the airport will be done on a “Swab and Go” basis for tourists that will be staying in Gold Standard hotels.
- Only positive cases will receive notification from the Ministry of Health within 24 hours. Any positive tourist can quarantine at their Gold Standard hotel; quarantine is at the passengers’ expense and the Ministry of Health must provide clearance for you to leave quarantine.
- After being cleared by Health Officials, proceed to Immigration and Customs, and then exit the airport via the Tourism Safe Corridor using Gold Standard or certified air or ground transportation.
During your Stay in Belize Do:
- Wear your face mask at all times when in public spaces
- Practice social distancing
- Practice proper hand hygiene by washing hands regularly with soap & water or use hand sanitizer
- Use Gold Standard (Yellow Dog options are all Gold Standard) certified accommodations, tour operators, tourism transportation providers (car rentals, domestic airlines, taxis), and visit Gold Standard restaurants, gift shops, and tourism sites all of whom have implemented enhanced health and safety protocols for your protection.
For up to date information on the destination’s travel protocols and frequently asked questions, please visit: https://www.travelbelize.org/health-safety
To learn more about our Belize fly fishing trip and lodge options, trip reports, how-to articles, and more – visit our Belize fly fishing page