We were fortunate enough to try out Patagonia's Forra wading boot -- a new product for Fall of 2023.
This piece of wading gear was created with the mobile angler in mind, designed to be comfortable on both trail and in water. If you are the type of angler who routinely pushes your gear and puts in the extra effort to access that tough-to-reach pool, these are for you. After putting in roughly twenty miles on them, we found the boots to be incredibly lightweight and supportive, without sacrificing durability or mobility.
- Abrasion-resistant Cordura® nylon mesh upper for quick-drying, durable, lightweight support. High collar design provides a stiffer upper for ankle protection and stability; reinforced toe caps for technical wading.
- Engineered for light weight and comfort during overland approaches and for reliability in all types of wading.
- Vibram® Mars sole made with XS Trek compound provides a large contact area for superior grip; outsole features HexaBase lugs for maximum traction and stability
- Designed to clear water quickly; upper boot is free from unnecessary foams and backers for faster dry times.
- Adjustable webbing lacing system provides in-stream security; hardware is noncorrosive and abrasion-resistant.
The boot is not specifically for wet-wading, but favors the season. The boots shed water quickly, meaning you can move in and out of the river with speed and ease while remaining comfortable over long days of fishing. Patagonia emphasizes that the vibram soles are ideal for not only fishing, but any outdoor activity where traction, durability, and comfort are a must.
If you are going to be using them for wet-wading, you really should use a gravel guard system or a tall wool sock as the high-ankle support will cause chafing. However, the ankle support is one of the best features of the boot, offering plenty of support for climbing over downed logs, atop boulders, or conquering steep grades.
The vibram soles are going to be great for most wading scenarios, though Patagonia was wise to implement a stud traction kit that can be purchased with the boots. The kit includes a driver, installation bit, and tungsten-carbide studs for increased traction on slick surfaces such as algae-covered rocks. This means the Forra is going to really be a do-it all for anglers who are driven to go the extra mile, climb one more hill, and eager to gain better ground via the route less taken.
Swing by the shop to try on a pair, or shop online!