For anglers venturing down to the country of Belize in search of the infamous silver king, be sure to have these bugs in your box in a range of sizes and weights!
Yellow Dog’s Fly Box:
- Doug McKnight’s Home Slice – Doug McKnight, who also happens to be Yellow Dog’s Bahamas director, ties the baitfish imitation. Try a purple or black color and get ready for big ‘poons to gulp the enticing meal. The recommended sizes should be from 2/0 – 3/0.
- Tarpon Toad – Developed by Gary Merriman in the 1990’s, the Tarpon Toad is a mainstay for any tarpon fly box. The recommended sizes should be from 1/0 – 3/0.
- Black Death – The black and red fly has been a perpetual favorite among guides in Belize. Pack a few of these in your fly box to increase your chances of landing a Silver King. The recommended sizes are between 3/0 – 4/0.
- Enrico Puglisi’s Black and Purple Peanut Butter – This baitfish imitation is essential for any fly fisher traveling to the waters of Belize. The recommended size is 3/0.
- Big Eye Orange/Grizzly – Bob Lemay’s large fly gives lots of action making it irresistible for tarpon. Carry sizes from 1/0 – 3/0.
Cameron emphasized his preference for the short shank, wide gap hooks – use Gamakatsu whenever possible.
Get in touch with Yellow Dog with any questions concerning fly fishing and travel in Belize. There are still a handful of spots available for the upcoming season in lodges in Belize, so be sure to book now rather than later. If you’re looking to get into some tarpon in Belize, here are some we recommend: Belize River Lodge, Long Caye Outpost Lodge, El Pescador Lodge, Turneffe Flats Lodge, and Turneffe Island Resort. Trust us; you won’t regret this adventure.
For more information on Belize lodges, trips, how-to articles, and more visit our Belize fly fishing page